Voter’s Guide 2021 Ward 12, City of Minneapolis: Andrew Johnson
By: JT Pinther, freelance journalist
- Main riders
- Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.)
- LDF Minneapolis
- LDF stone wall
- Senator Patricia Torres Ray
- Several local and state unions
- Brief history: Johnson is the first millennial to serve on Minneapolis City Council. He is a small business owner and served on the Longfellow Community Board, being elected Board Chair in his second year. Johnson currently lives in the Howe neighborhood.
- Main issues
- Police responsibility – Believes that the police should be part of the City’s public safety system, but “we cannot continue to expect every problem to be solved by a police officer, nor that dysfunctions within the institution of the MPD are resolved with minor reforms â.
- Amendments to the Charter – In favor of the Ministry of Public Security; opposes the stabilization of rents
- Education – n / A
- Racial Justice (gen.) – One of only three council members to vote against the East Phillips Water Yard; co-authored several BIPOC-related resolutions, most notably against the Dakota Access Pipeline and fought to repeal the hiding and spitting ordinances.
- Other major issues / priorities – small businesses; public health; affordable housing; climate change and the Comp 2040 Plan.
- Best way to find out more
- Andrew Johnson Campaign Website | Minneapolis City Council Page